The Mawn Law Offices, LLC
to helping you!
Attorney Paul E. Mawn, Jr.
Paul grew up in the Boston area and graduated from Boston College. Between college and law school, Paul had a career in sales and marketing. During law school, Paul clerked for Attorney John L. Bonee III at the Bonee Law Offices in Hartford. Upon graduation from law school in 2002, Paul took a job as a Legal Research Clerk for the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, which honed his writing skills, and gave him the opportunity to see how judges make decisions from the bench. In 2005, he opened his law practice in Newington, where he also resides. Over the years, Attorney Mawn has represented hundreds of clients in Connecticut's Civil, Criminal and Probate Courts, and before its administrative agencies. His experience has taught him that diligence and tenacity always pay off. Paul is an accomplished piano player, a dedicated cyclist and a council member of his church.
- Elder Law and Title XIX Issues
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Successfully defended a Central Connecticut man from sale of narcotics charges. During representation, hired an investigator who revealed key facts that the prosecution was unaware of. Also quashed the prosecution's investigative subpoena on a key witness. All charges against my client were dropped during jury selection.
- Won a favorable judgment for an elderly Central Connecticut woman against a former fiduciary who had not properly accounted for funds managed under a power of attorney.
- After full Probate trial, successfully removed my client's sibling from the position of conservator of their 95-year-old mother. A neutral, Temporary Conservator was appointed.
- Helped a Connecticut widow sell her late husband's business for a fair price, fending off multiple court actions brought against the business by parties wishing to take advantage of her situation.
- Helped a returning Iraq War veteran settle a dispute with a landlord by educating the landlord about some of the issues that returning veterans face.
- Drafted the contract that a prominent Connecticut entertainment company uses each year for its vendors, at its well-attended annual convention at the Connecticut Convention Center.
- Defended a Central Connecticut man from very serious drug and weapons charges that carried a maximum sentence of 25 years. He received a sentence of one-and-a-half years to serve.
- Litigated against a Trust on behalf of a Hartford area woman who was the primary beneficiary of the estate of one of her dear friends, and reached a fair and satisfactory settlement of the matter, which allowed my client to keep the lion's share of the assets.
- Helped an emotionally disturbed man stay out of jail, despite repeated arrests and an inability to comply with the terms of release.
- Obtained a not-guilty verdict in a bench trial on charges of Failure to Appear.
- Represented a New Britain area man on serious felony charges, which charges the State dropped at trial, after the patrolman and the detective were cross-examined.
- Represented a Hartford-area professional couple who having issues with DCF regarding their three adopted children. The children had some behavioral issues that were caused by stresses they had experienced in their native country, prior to adoption. After a number of subpoenas were served upon certain DCF supervisors, the case was dropped.
- Boston College, B.A. Philosophy, cum laude, May 1988
- Western New England College, J.D., May 2002
- Connecticut Bar Association.
- Assigned Counsel Contract in the New Britain G.A. #15 District.
- Assigned Counsel Contract in the Hartford G.A. #14 District.
- Former Special Public Defender New Britain Juvenile District.
- Former Special Public Defender Hartford Juvenile District.
Awards and Achievements
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Scholar at Western New England College School of Law.
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Jurisprudence.
- Named to Global Directory of Top Attorneys (2015 Edition).